Makeup Artistry For Fun or Vocation: is makeup school for you?
There are those that wish to learn makeup because it’s somehow trendy. Some wish to learn so that they can be more adept at applying their own makeup or simply for the fun of it all.
And then there are those that aspire to do greater things with this craft/art form; they wish to make it their vocation.
Of this group, are those that wish to learn online. If you find yourself in the latter category, this article is for you. It will help you to narrow down the selection by providing a purely unbiased look at the top online makeup school features to take into consideration. This, in turn, will help you find the best fit for you.
Accredited or not; does it matter?
What does it mean to be an accredited school? It means that the institution has met the standards to teach a curriculum. The institution’s standards are set by a peer review board. Typically this will include faculty from various other accredited schools. Before they become accredited they must be accessed via the following criteria:
- Overall Mission of the College or Institution
- Objectives and Goals
- Student Requirements for Admissions
- Services Available to Students
- Quality of Education
- Reputation of Faculty
For the Beauty Industry, it is the cosmetology school accrediting organizations such as the National Accrediting Commission of Cosmetology Arts and Sciences (NACCAS) that give accreditation. NACCAS, is not the only one, but it’s the larger of them.
If standards are not kept up or if they fall short in any of these, the institution’s license will be revoked.
Why does this matter? It gives credibility as well more assurance that you will receive a quality education.
Should I even go to makeup school?
To go or not to go: this is an often debated question. Many top makeup artists are self-taught. So it really depends on what you wish to gain.
- If you want the confidence that you’ve covered all the basics before moving on, then a course/school may be for you.
- If you wish to have the feedback as well as a coach or mentor, then this may be the right move.
- If you want a certificate to show that you’ve gone through a curriculum, then read on. Makeup School is probably right for you.
What should I look for in an online Makeup School?
Online learning in one thing. Online Makeup learning is somewhat different. If you are seeking this, it’s probably because you:
- are not in the vicinity of good makeup school
- have a busy schedule and can only manage online learning
- prefer online learning
- all of the above
Regardless of the reason, learning makeup online can have its challenges/disadvantages. To compensate for this you would want a school that provides:
- sense of community
- great coaches/tutors/instructors that are accessible
- full curriculum and great feedback on assignments
- good reputation and reviews
We’ve gone through a host of Online Makeup Schools. As of this point, our top all-around pick is: